Current Visiting/Non-Program Students

How fast can I complete a course?

Students in individualized study have up to 6 months to complete a 3-credit course and up to 12 months to complete a 6-credit course. Students in grouped study or those receiving financial assistance have shortened course contracts.

If you are thinking about completing a course in under three months, you should consider how your progress will affect or be affected by the following factors:

  • Requests for the next month's course contract start date must be received and processed before the 10th of the previous month. Depending on where you live, course materials can take up to 2 weeks to arrive.
  • Students cannot contact their tutor or book exams until the official course contract start date.
  • There is a 8 business day turnaround time for marking assignments. The 8-day period begins on the day the marker receives the assignment, not the day it was sent.
  • After an exam is written, it is returned to the University by the Invigilator. It is then forwarded on to the marker. Once received, there is a 8 business day turnaround time for the exam to be marked. The mark is then forwarded to the Administrative Course Assistant, who issues a final grade report, which is sent to the Office of the Registrar. None of the above includes mailing time.
  • The Office of the Registrar enters the final grade into the student information system in the order final grades are received (typically, a 7 to 8 business day turnaround time).
  • Final or course composite grades cannot be computed until all course requirements have been completed and marked.
  • If a transcript is required, students can request their transcript be sent by courier, rather than regular mail, at their own expense.
  • We recommended that exams be written and assignments submitted 4 to 6 weeks before the date for which the final grade is required.

To learn more, contact the Information Centre or the Office of the Registrar.

How long will it take for me to receive my final grades?

Generally, your unofficial final grades can be viewed in your Gradebook on myAU ten business days after AU receives your last assignment or exam, as per AU's service standards.

The timeframe for an official grade to be posted in your student record can vary significantly during peak times and depending on factors such as whether you choose to write a supplemental exam.

Final or course composite grades cannot be computed until all course requirements have been completed and marked.

If a transcript is required, students can request their transcript be sent by courier, rather than regular mail, at their own expense.

We recommended that exams be written and assignments submitted 4 to 6 weeks before the date for which the final grade is required.

See more: How fast can I complete a course?

How do I request a transcript?

Requests for Athabasca University transcripts can be made online through myAU or by submitting a Transcript Request Form to the Academic Records unit of the Office of the Registrar by either fax or mail.

To request a transcript online, log into myAU and then select the "Request Transcripts" option under Student Record in the left-hand navigation menu. This service allows you to preview and print your transcript before it gets sent to the destination that you have specified.

Transcript Request Options

You may request that a transcript be sent to either yourself or a third party, via mail, courier, or fax (priority transcript service). There is a fee associated with both the courier and fax options.

More information about transcript requests can be found in Section 7.11 of the Calendar.

For more information about your transcript, contact the Information Centre at 1-800-788-9041 or send an email to the Academic Records unit at

How do I reenroll/reactivate my student status?

Students are considered 'inactive' if they have not registered in an
Athabasca University course:

  • within 12 months of their last course contract end date or date of withdrawal,
  • within 12 months of the most recent admissions entry term,
  • or on a Letter of Permission within 12 months of either of the above dates.

To become reinstated as an active student:

  1. Log into myAU.
  2. Click on "change program" in the Manage Your Program section and complete the form to reactivate your status as either a program or non-program student. No application fee is required, but if you are having an evaluation completed, you may be required to pay the transfer credit evaluation fee.

If this is your first time logging in to myAU, your password will be your birthday in the format of YYYYMMDD.

If you have lost your Student ID, please contact the Information Centre.

How do I contact a professor for permission to take a course?

If you need to contact a professor to get permission to register in a course, you can either:

If you are not sure if permission is required for a course, check the course syllabus or the Course Availability tool.

Where can I write my exam?

Students can write their examinations at Athabasca University locations in Athabasca, Edmonton, or Calgary, Alberta. In addition, a Canada-wide Examination Invigilation Network has been established that is composed of many post-secondary institutions that are AU-approved invigilation centres.

Students living within 100 km of an established AU-approved invigilation centre are required to write their exam at that location.

Students living further than 100 km from an approved invigilation centre have the following options:

  • You may write your exam at an accredited post-secondary institution such as a community college or a technical institute. If one is not available, you may write your examination at an educational institution such as a high school or library, provided it is approved by the Office of the Registrar.
  • If you live outside Canada, you must write your exams at an accredited post-secondary institution, Canadian Embassy, or Canadian government office in the country where you reside. Exceptions must have prior approval from the Office of the Registrar.

For more information on where to write your exam, see Sections 7.2.2 and 7.3 of the Calendar or contact the Examination Services Unit by email at

How do I withdraw from a course?

You may withdraw from a course at any time up until the end date of the course. However, you may not withdraw from a course if you have completed the final exam.

You have two ways to withdraw from a course:

  1. Log in to myAU and complete the withdrawal process for the course, or
  2. Complete a Course Withdrawal Request form (included with your course materials) and send it to the Office of the Registrar.

The date of withdrawal will be the postmark on the request, or, if the notice is hand-delivered or faxed, the University date stamp, or the date of the online submission.

Refund Information: Am I eligible for a refund?

Can I request an extension?

Undergraduate course extensions are available for individualized-study courses only. Students who are unable to complete their course during their course contract period may apply for an extension. Each course may be extended up to three times, and each extension is valid for a two-month period.

How to Request an Extension

  • Option 1: Login to MyAU, and choose "Apply for a Course Extension" under the "Manage your Courses" options. You will need to pay the relevant fee online.
  • Option 2: Submit a Course Extension Request form and include the appropriate fee for each extension requested. Mail or fax your completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

All extension requests must be received by the Office of the Registrar a minimum of one month before your course contract ends. The extension starts on the first day of the month following your course contract end date. Students with course extensions must complete all course work by the end date of the extension period.

More information: Calendar course extension information and AU's Course Extension Policy.

How do I appeal my mark?

Athabasca University’s grade appeals process is as follows:

  1. Contact your tutor to discuss the mark. This must be done within one month of receiving the mark.
  2. Either you or your tutor contacts the course professor to have the examination, assignment, or essay remarked. The student must make this request within one month of the original complaint.
  3. If you are still dissatisfied with the result after remarking, submit a written appeal to the Program Director. This must be done within one month of the receipt of the second marking.

More information about the grade appeals process can be found in Section 4 of the Undergraduate Calendar.

What mark will I get if I withdraw or do not complete the course?

Athabasca University's Withdrawal Policy is as follows:

Early Withdrawal - Within 30 Days

Students may withdraw before or within 30 days of their start date for a partial refund. If the learning resources are complete, unmarked , (able to be issued to another student), and received by the University within 30 days of the processing of a refundable withdrawal request, you will receive a refund. The registration will not appear on the transcript and will be deleted from the official record. Please refer to the Refund Policy for further details.

Withdrawal - After 30 Days

Students who withdraw from a course after 30 of the start date will receive a "W" grade on their transcript which means a student has withdrawn without credit and without prejudice. No refund is issued and course materials should not be returned.

If a student does not formally withdraw by the course end date, and does not complete the course, the official record will reflect an "F" (Failure) grade. A grade of zero will be assigned and calculated into the cumulative grade point average.

For more information about course withdrawal, see Section 6.17 of the Undergraduate Calendar.