Current Program Students

Are you currently enrolled in a Degree, Diploma, or Certificate with Athabasca University?

How do I transfer credit?

Transcripts from other institutions must be submitted for evaluation to determine if the coursework is acceptable for credit transfer. Your transcripts cannot be officially evaluated unless you are enrolled in a program at Athabasca University. However, to find out how your course credits might transfer to an AU degree, use our online transfer credit assessment tool.

In section D of the Undergraduate General Application Form, you can request an evaluation of your previous coursework. You will be required to pay a one-time non-refundable evaluation fee and submit official transcripts; course outlines might also be required.

More information on Evaluations and Transfer Credit can be found in Section 6.8 of the Calendar.

Can I take a double major?

Students enrolled in a 4-year Bachelor of Arts program, as either a first or second undergraduate degree, generally have the option to combine two majors into a double major.

Students who take double majors must fulfill all requirements for both majors. Depending upon the chosen majors, this may greatly restrict course selection (particularly in the second undergraduate degree program) or require the completion of more than 120 credits.

Students considering enrolling in double majors should consult with an Athabasca University Academic Advisor for assistance in selecting their programs and courses.

How do I change my program?

To change programs online, log in to MyAU and complete and submit the "Change of Program" form on the first tab in the Manage Your Courses section. To change programs by mail or fax, complete and submit Athabasca University's General Application Form.

You must comply with regulations that are in effect at the time the change takes place. Course work completed previously, including transfer credit, will be reassessed and applied towards your new program in accordance with the applicable regulations.

Athabasca University students may also return to a previous program of study or version of a program, but only if the previous program or version is still being offered.

If you are currently enrolled in a program of study that is no longer offered or has changed substantially, you should carefully consider your options before requesting enrolment in a new program. Athabasca University's Advisors are ready to assist you in determining the results of your requested change in credential.

For more information about changing your program, contact the Office of the Registrar.

How do I get assistance interpreting my transfer credit evaluation report?

We suggest logging into DegreeWorks and looking at how your transfer credits have been applied to your program in order to gain a better understanding of how any credits granted fit in. If you would like further assistance interpreting your transfer credit evaluation report, contact a student advisor.

For assistance specific to Faculty of Business programs, email your request to

Is there a time limit for completing my AU program? Is there a time limit for completing a degree?

At Athabasca University, completion time limits for programs vary depending on the program in which you are enrolled. You decide how long it will take to complete your credential within the program’s predetermined range.

Your Athabasca University file will remain open as long as you are taking a minimum of one course per year. You will become an inactive student if you have not registered in an Athabasca University course within 12 months of the completion date, the contract date, or the date of withdrawal of your last course.

For information about specific program requirements, browse our Programs online and view our Undergraduate and Graduate Calendars. Our Student Advisors can provide you with a copy of AU's individual program regulations and help you plan your program.

What are your fees?

Depending on where you are located, your course fees will vary:

Our online Course Fee Calculator can help you determine your course fees before you register.

Undergraduate course fees include all textbooks and materials. They are a combination of tuition, learning resources fees (course material fee), and mandatory fees, and entitle the student to receive the course materials and support services required to complete the course during the period of active registration.

See more: How much does a program cost?

How do I get permission to take a course at another university?

If you are enrolled in a program at Athabasca University, you must request a Letter of Permission from Athabasca University, which allows you to take up to a maximum of eight 3-credit courses or equivalent per session at another institution. The Letter of Permission is valid for one year from the session start date.

Your Letter of Permission Request form must be received no later than one month prior to receiving institution's registration deadline.

Email, Mail, fax, or deliver the completed request form to

Office of the Registrar
1 University Drive
Athabasca, Alberta T9S 3A3
Fax: (780) 675-6174

More information on the Letter of Permission can be found in Section 6.11 of the Calendar.

Can I receive credit for Prior Learning?

Athabasca University’s Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process can award you credit for prior and/or experiential learning can be used toward Athabasca University degrees or university certificates. Experiential learning may have been acquired from life experience, job training, workshops, seminars, or other experiences.

PLAR-awarded credit is separate and different from receiving transfer credit for previous recognized formal learning. PLAR is a choice, not a requirement. Doing PLAR may not suit everyone’s learning style.

Visit our Centre for Learning Accreditation for more information about PLAR, including a copy of a sample virtual portfolio.

What is the difference between PLAR and transfer credits?


Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is a process designed to award you credit towards your degree or certificate at Athabasca University by recognizing the learning you have acquired from life experience, job training, workshops, seminars or other experience.

See more: What is PLAR?

Transfer Credit

Transfer credits are credits granted for the successful completion of post-secondary course work at another recognized organization.

Use the Transfer Credit Assessment Tool to find out how your previous education could be assessed towards an AU program.

More information on Evaluations and Transfer Credit in the Calendar.

See more: How do I transfer credit?

What is the English Writing Requirement?

English Writing Skills Requirement

Some AU programs require successful completion of an English Writing Requirement. In order to graduate, students must meet the following English writing skills requirement:

  • hold credit in ENGL 255 (Students are strongly encouraged to register in ENGL 255 early in their program.);
  • have a grade of B- (70 per cent) or better in an Athabasca University English course above the preparatory (100) level;
  • receive credit for an English course in which a grade of B- or better was achieved.

I'm enrolled in an AU program but am not sure what course(s) to start with. Where should I begin?

Review the program regulations very carefully found at It is recommended that you begin with required courses or electives as specified within the requirements. If you do not have any previous post secondary education, you should consider beginning with Junior (200) level courses.

While you wait for your evaluation of previous education to be completed, you may register in a course(s). However, if your course duplicates course work that you completed previously, you will receive credit for one course only. Athabasca University cannot officially approve any courses as being applicable to your program until your evaluation assessment is complete. If you register in a course and are subsequently given transfer credit for a similar course completed previously, you have the option of withdrawing from the course. Refer to Section 5.4.2.

Course selection assistance may be obtained from an Athabasca University student advisor or by completing and submitting an Information Request Form.

What is an Area of Study?

Area of study: Athabasca University divides its courses into groups of related subjects. Arts is divided into Humanities and Social Sciences; Science includes all Science courses; Applied Studies includes the area of Business and Administrative Studies and Applied Studies. The area designation for each course is shown in each course description. Search for a course by its area of study.

What is a Discipline?

Discipline: Courses in a specific subject area, for example, English is a discipline in the Humanities, Biology in the Sciences, and Accounting in Business and Administrative studies.

I'm enrolled in an AU program but am not sure what course(s) to take next. Can you help me?

Review the program planner in effect at the time you enrolled ../program_plans.php. Please contact an Advisor for an updated program planner and course selection assistance.

My program regulations have changed, what regulations are applicable to me?

You must comply with the regulations that were in effect at the time you enrolled. If you become inactive or change your program, you must comply with the regulations currently in effect. If you are unsure what regulations you are to follow please contact an Advisor.

I have completed 3 year Bachelor's degree with AU, can I complete my 4th year?

Degree Conversion Provision

The degree conversion provision is available to Athabasca University students who have been awarded a three-year AU degree and wish to convert to a four-year degree. For more information about this regulation, please review the Degree Conversion Provision Policy.

How do I get an updated student program plan?

You can obtain an updated student program plan by contacting the Advising team responsible for your program of study. You can find the appropriate Advising Team by selecting your program of study on our Contact Page.

How can I get my international post secondary course work reviewed for potential transfer credit?

Found in section of online Calendar

Students presenting non-Canadian/non-United States credentials for possible transfer credit to an Athabasca University program, must obtain an evaluation of post-secondary course work from an international assessment agency, for example, the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).

IQAS will assess each student's international educational documents and compare them to educational credentials in Canada. Athabasca University requires a description of course work evaluation from IQAS. Students must also submit copies of all foreign transcripts to Athabasca University.

If you elect not to use IQAS (or another comparable assessment service. Please see below.), you may not obtain any transfer credit for your course work towards an Athabasca University program. Upon request, the Office of the Registrar will forward you information and an application package to be returned to IQAS.

There are a number of other foreign credential evaluating services whose assessments will be accepted.

Athabasca University can also accept assessments from Comparative Education Services (CES) at the University of Toronto.

Athabasca University only accepts detailed course-by-course assessments for assessment purposes.